Thorough. Aggressive. Honest.

Money laundering expert indicted for similar white collar crimes

On Behalf of | Nov 25, 2019 | White Collar Crimes |

When academics or other professionals are accused of criminal activity, the damage to their reputation and other aspects of their lives can be devastating. Michigan residents are likely shocked to learn that a 73-year-old professor in international relations in another state was recently indicted on federal white collar crimes charges that are similar to those on which he had been an expert witness in multiple criminal cases. It is alleged that the professor, who was an expert on organized crime and money laundering, laundered millions of dollars as part of a ring of corrupt foreign nationals.

Reportedly, the professor is known as the author and editor of several books that deal with violence, organized crime, drug trafficking corruption, drug cartels and money laundering. Now, federal law enforcement officials have charged the professor with conspiracy and two money laundering counts. The indictment alleges he applied his extensive knowledge in money laundering to schemes of his own.

The unsealed indictment revealed allegations of significant amounts of funds originating from foreign banks being sent to the professor. FBI investigators say the professor, accompanied by a foreign national, then withdrew about 90% of those funds to hand to an accomplice, keeping the remaining 10% for himself and diverting it to his personal account. Allegedly, the professor created fake contracts to explain the reasons for receiving so much money.

Regardless of the allegations made against the professor, he will remain innocent in the eyes of the law unless and until the prosecution can prove his guilt in court and beyond a reasonable doubt. In Michigan, people facing similar charges will likely secure the services of a criminal defense attorney who has experience in dealing with white collar crimes charges. These cases are usually complicated, and having the best possible legal counsel can significantly increase the chances of obtaining the most favorable outcome for the client.